Visit our websiite at www.artandsoulpreschool.com

Sunday, December 4, 2011

"If I had a Hammer"


An aspect of The Reggio Emilia Approach that I really love is giving children real tools and materials.
I believe strongly in the abilities of young children, and that with a little effort and patience in assisting and showing children how to really work a tool, they will gain the skills to do it on their own. 

I have been wanting for some time to create a genuine construction area.  This area has not come to fruition as quickly as I would like, but I felt I had put off using tools for too long.  To get them started we began to use hammers and tacking nails in our pumpkin we grew this summer in the garden.  I didn't have the heart to carve this pumpkin because it was so beautiful, so we had it as a decoration, but it lived a good life and now is our hammering block. We also use pliers and the end of the hammers to take the nails out.  It is a great way to work on fine motor skills.  I can't wait to see what is next!

Thank You to Our Beautiful Pumpkin!




measuring the pumpkin and table.
Elianna stated that the table was "20-13-80 inches long."


No comments:

Post a Comment